Saturday, July 20, 2013

Solo trip to Istanbul

For the end of my EVS I decided to make a big trip on my own. I knew that there's a bus from Constanta directly to Istanbul for only 30 Euros! Hitch-hiking would be too dangerous alone, so this was the perfect destiny to travel without company.
The bus was full of older women who couldn't believe that the little girl is travelling alone, but even more spectacular was that I'm from Germany and indeed one woman seriously asked me to marry her son..
After a loud and wild 13-hours-bus trip I finally arrived in Istanbul.
For the first night I had booked a hostel, because I expected myself in a horrible state after the bus trip.
But for the other 2 weeks I had searched for Cochsurfing hosts and I also found them (I had started 2 days before which was absolutely enough. The people in Istanbul are so hospitable and very very friendly.)


After walking a few kilometers from the bus station, I suddenly stood in front of the Blue Mosque. I felt like in 1001 Nights and was completely enchanted by the fantastic beauty of the building and the atmosphere surrounding it. 
I only had to turn around to see the second miracle: Hagia Sofia where Christianity and Islam are so uniquely close..

Another amazing view is the Cisterna Basilica, also called 'The Sunken Palace'. Like a completly new world it raises in front of you while going down the steps, not far from the center. The magic of the place is incomparable and almost makes you believe the myth of Medusa, the daughter of a Greek god who converts everyone into stone who looks into her eyes.


When I arrived to Istanbul, the protests against Erdogan and the government had calmed down a little (otherwise I probably would have had to cancel my trip), or rather they were beaten down by the police.
I promised not to attend the protests, but I couldn't resist (this may sound stupid, but I've never seen something like this before, the atmosphere was just amazing, so powerful and strong-minded. I also think that this resistance should be supported, otherwise Turkey could end up in a terrible disaster with this government..)
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), exactly on the day I went to Gezi Park, the origin and center of the protests, it was completely peaceful, some protesters gathered in front of a stage to "share" their opinions. The police was only waiting in a corner, annoyed by some fearless tourists like me taking pictures. 
(I asked one policeman if he would take a picture with me, he was friendly but I didn't get my picture..)


Two very nice days I spent on the Princess' Islands, a few kilometers off the coast of Istanbul. Their landscape and beaches are paradisial and far from the metropolitan atmosphere, also because cars are not allowed on the islands, only bikes and carriages.


But most of my time I spent in the beautiful Kadıköy, a district on the Asian side of Istanbul, special because of its residents with their open and different attitude which is also attracting a lot of artists
..and because of its lovely cats.



If you are thinking about making a trip on your own - do it! It's a great experience, because you're much more open towards other people and more flexible in your decisions. In the 3 weeks (I enjoyed so much that I extended my stay) I didn't feel lonely one moment and the people were all so warm and lovely.
It was a wonderful time and I think it will connect me to this country for a long time to come.

Görüşürüz, Türkiye!
Miriam


1 comment: